On May 21, 1868, the Rt. Rev Damian Junker offered the first holy mass in Murphysboro in the Meddar Lucier home.
On June 15, 1868, the present site of St. Andrew was purchased, and a frame church 24 x 50 feet was built. Fire destroyed this church May 4, 1888.
The Rt. Rev John Janssen dedicated the present St. Andrew on Oct. 16, 1889, it was enlarged in 1907.
On Oct. 8, 1967, the church, its great Gothic beauty enhanced by extensive interior restoration to conform to the new liturgy and exterior renovation including tower clock, automatic bell ringers, and lighted spire, was re-dedicated.